Community discussions

MikroTik App

axe3
just joined
Topic Author

Permissions regression starting with 7.10 and a question about about resource limits

Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:49 pm

Hey, forum!

I'm experimenting with some containers running on my router, specifically, D53G-5HacD2HnD-TC&RG502Q-EA.

1. I want to report a regression which appears starting with version 7.10 and present in the, currently latest, 7.11.2, too. I observe this when e.g. trying to run the image 'linuxserver/qbittorrent:arm64v8-4.5.5' - it produces logs with the following message "Could not create required directory '/root/.cache/qBittorrent". The image has worked fine for me on 7.8, and quickly testing it on 7.9.2 also looks to work without problems.
Since the image is from the same folks, could this be similar/the same as the issue described here permission denied?

2. I have experimented with running two different torrent clients - qBittorrent and also Transmission. I have experienced what I would describe as some kind of throttling behavior when a torrent download connects to many peers/ picks up speed. At that point the webui of the torrent client becomes much less responsive (from requests taking much longer to complete to getting permanently stuck). Also the downloads seem to stall at this point. During this, there is no impact on the connection to the router webui and I don't observe any degradation of the network/ connection to the internet otherwise - devices connected to the network appear to have good internet connections. Checking the available resources of the router don't suggest that the router overall would be hitting any of it's hardware limits, as there is plenty of free RAM (more than half) and the CPU load is low (below 10%), which to me then suggests there might be some kind of throttling going on. I use a USB drive with a 400MB/s write speed, so that's not a bottleneck. Could it be that there's some limit on the amount of open sockets that a container can have at a time or within a certain window or something like that? Have others seen similar behavior with their containers with a similar kind of workload?

antonsb
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Permissions regression starting with 7.10 and a question about about resource limits

Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:32 pm

All linuxserver images do funky stuff with permission change:
https://github.com/linuxserver/docker-b ... dduser/run

we are remapping users and setting folder permissions on startup, this would not always work correctly with linxuserver image approach -
they are not using --user flag either:
https://docs.linuxserver.io/general/und ... d-and-pgid

as a quick workaround you may try to change PUID PGID envs to 0 as in this example:
viewtopic.php?t=199445