Community discussions

MikroTik App

exagon
just joined
Topic Author

New Setup - L009 + hAP AX

Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:55 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm new to mikrotik, and I would like to understand if some solutions are feasible.
I just purchased the L009UiGS-2HaxD-IN and a hAP ax lite for my home and would like to be able to:
- manage the WIFI with the capsman of both devices, then distribute a single SSID and have roaming management
(is it possible to have wifi active on both the L009 and the hAP?)
- be able to manage a single VLAN between the ports of the L009 switch and the ports of the hAP switch
- also have the WIRELESS devices on the same VLAN, so as to apply the same rules on the firewall.

I look forward to hearing from you and thank you in advance.
Greetings
EXA

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: New Setup - L009 + hAP AX

Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:25 pm

All of this is very much possible.

But you need to do some homework ...

VLAN:
viewtopic.php?t=143620

CAPSMAN:
https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... ionexample:

exagon
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:41 am

Hi,
thanks for the reply.
I installed and configured everything.
I'm trying to solve some problems with roaming between the two APs,

But I don't understand if with the L009 it is possible to manage capsman for local wifi and wifi on the hAP. Someone can point me to the best configuration for L009 + hAP, thanks a lot.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:53 am

Capsman AX/Wave2 can not be used to handle local wifi.
You need to set up that radio locally on L009.

But ... since that local radio and the capsman part will be on the same device, roaming will be seamless (Tick FT Enabled and FT over DS on the FT tab in security or configuration).
Question remains however why you need capsman for only 2 APs (of which the controller itself is one) ? Maybe easier to set up each independently using the same SSID and security settings.

"Best" configuration does not exist, it depends on your surrounding environment (especially make sure each radio is set on the channel with the least interference, which for 2.4GHz may be a "challenge").
Help pages from Mikrotik are a very good base, though.

exagon
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:34 pm

Capsman AX/Wave2 can not be used to handle local wifi.
You need to set up that radio locally on L009.

But ... since that local radio and the capsman part will be on the same device, roaming will be seamless (Tick FT Enabled and FT over DS on the FT tab in security or configuration).
Question remains however why you need capsman for only 2 APs (of which the controller itself is one) ? Maybe easier to set up each independently using the same SSID and security settings.
Thanks, yes I think is the best way to set up each independently.
I saw that in the logs on the capsman server there are logs that say roaming.
With the standalone configuration there will still be logs that tell me that a client has been moved (roamed) ?

thanks again

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:15 pm

With the standalone configuration there will still be logs that tell me that a client has been moved (roamed) ?
Not on a central place, no. You will see it on each device being logged that a device is out of range and then it will appear on the other device.
You can't have it all.