Community discussions

MikroTik App

sbotnick
just joined
Topic Author

Problem routing local subnets with GRE tunnel carrying traffic to all other destnations

Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:10 am

Hello,

I've got a situation where I have a couple of local subnets on my router and a GRE tunnel back to HQ. I want all traffic except the local and a few remote subnets on another router to go through the tunnel. I have it mostly working, but I cannot get the traffic for the local subnets working. I do have routing tables, rules and routes in place, I do have the few subnets further away on another router and that works fine. I've attached a sanitized config.

All the local subnets show up in the routing table as dynamic and I do have static rules in place using the routing-table. The default route shows up above the dynamic entries and all the rule-based entries are below the dynamic entries. I also tried doing it with mangle rules, no difference.

A couple of oddities: I cannot ping the default gateways for the local subnets from their respective subnets but I can ping the address 192.168.86.1 which is in a subnet block outside of the gateways in the main/24 block that is tunneled.

Hopefully this makes some sense with the attached config. Any suggestions on getting the local traffic flowing to the local subnets?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sbotnick
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Problem routing local subnets with GRE tunnel carrying traffic to all other destnations

Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:03 pm

Solved.

Created no-tunnel routing table, added routing rules for all the subnets to NOT go through the tunnel and then created a route with the subnet block as destination, using the routing table and the bridge as the gateway. Note all LAN subnets have their IP on the bridge, not exactly sure what this would look like if the IPs were on separate interfaces, it might require a bunch more rules and routes. Hope this helps someone.

Note this is v7.12.1